Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Soap Box

Sometimes (ok, actually quite often) I am disappointed in my town. I'm pretty sure that Anchorage is one of the most diverse cities in Alaska (and possibly the US if I remember right) but we kind of act like an all-white hick town sometimes. I'm not going to get into it too much, as it gets me really worked up (which is a big deal as there are only about three things that get me worked up: recycling, humane treatment of animals, and humane treatment of HUMANS), but yesterday our mayor vetoed a bill that would make it illegal to discriminate against gay people when they are looking for a job or a place to live. The assembly had passed the anti-discrimination bill 7-4 after MANY town hall meetings and listening to hours of testimony. Our mayor (who I'm not sure had been to any of those meetings) decided that same-sex discrimination "does not exist" in Anchorage. Really? At least have the guts to say you voted with your party, or you have a problem with the way the bill is written, or SOMETHING. Don't come out and say that discrimination doesn't exist.

I don't think we have a single politician that I want to vote for again (or that I voted for in the first place, for that matter) in office right now. I'm incredibly disappointed.

1 comment:

Jane said...

I got one of your sock blanks in my phat fibe box. Can't wait to try knitting something with it!