Sunday, March 29, 2009

The Day After the VOLCANO!

Yesterday Mt. Redoubt finally interrupted my day to day life. Normally, I follow the Alaska Volcano Observatory on Twitter and think about how happy I am that there is no ash in my yard. Then it happened. There was ash in my yard. I didn't even really notice until W came home and asked what the heck was going on. It was very light, but it is still a pain. Now the dogs can't go out as much (which is driving them CRAZY) and when they do go out, we have to clean them off when they come in. They also hate that. The worst part is that they don't really understand why they can't go outside. I've told them about the volcanic ash, and how it is for their safety, but they don't get it. Or they just choose to continue to whine at the door.

This morning we woke up and there was still ash. I don't know what I thought would happen to it over night, but I was hoping it would all be gone. So the dogs have decided to play in our bedroom which is pretty funny. They do crazy jump attacks off of the bed. Watching them play is probably the most entertaining thing to do on a Sunday.

I also woke up to find out that a local fabric shop, Seams Like Home, is offering 20% off all fabric purchases if you brave the ash. Tempting, but I have no money and a house full of fabric. My goal today is to finish my Easter presents and maybe get some more knitting done. I started knitting two socks on two circulars at one time. I think they will turn out pretty well, and the fact that I will have two socks done when I am done is probably the most exciting thing ever. And I am VERY proud of my self that I figured it out all by myself. I used the book Knitting Circles Around Socks which had great pictures and explanations of how to do it. Super excited. And another thing I loved about this book is that it had patterns for yarn of different weights. A lot of sock patterns are written for fingering weight yarn, but I like to use a bit of a thicker yarn and it is hard to find patterns to accommodate my yarn taste. Think I'm going to go eat some cherrios. Have a good Sunday!

No comments: