Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Yarn Harlot

So I don't think that I blogged about this, but reading Stephanie's post on her blog today reminded me of the situation. My mom and I were in the fabric cutting line at QT on sale day. We were a person or two apart because my mom had decided at the last min to buy some more fabric. ANYWAY, I was asking to look at her class supply list for her beginning crocheting class. The lady in between us asked my mom, "Why don't you just learn to knit?" Then my mom explained to her that she had tried knitting and wasn't successful, and yes, she had taken a class to learn to knit, but she decided to try crocheting because maybe one needle would be easier for her. The lady then goes into this speech about how she used to crochet but then she got tired of making dishcloths so she moved on to knitting. She also told my mom that you, "can't make very many things crocheting" and it is best for "dishcloths". At this point both my mom and I decide to ignore her because we are done with the conversation. I just felt so bad for my mom though. This was her first time at quilt store sale day and some stupid customer was rude about her class choices. I told my mom later when we were at lunch (BK Lounge baby...) that you can make TONS of stuff crocheting. She was like, "Oh, I know. I can also make blankets." I laughed... and informed her that NO! I mean you can make ANYTHING. Sweaters, socks, bags, WHATEVER your heart desires.

She said she might start with a dishcloth.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

People are so rude! Why does that lady even care what your mom does? Way to be so discouraging crazy stranger lady! I think it's cool your mom is willing to try new things!

Leah said...

I agree; your mom is awesome. You should have made some comment about how knitting just wasn't risky enough. Crocheting, now, that has hooks and that means it is very, very dangerous.

Speaking of, you still need to teach me!