Thursday, November 26, 2009

Happy Thanksgiving!

First off, Happy Thanksgiving! I hope you have somewhere to enjoy this holiday, and people to share it with. I will be spending it with my parents and my in-laws... sadly W is still out hunting and won't return until tomorrow night... let's hope he returns with a deer in tow!

The other night I was watching the Biggest Loser (because it is too hard to knit, spin, or sew with the puppy.  He is obsessed with yarn and has stepped on my sewing machine pedal a few too many times to make it fun anymore.) and one of the ladies on there had something pretty interesting to say. She was talking about how a mother/wife is supposed to be the caregiver of the family and how she has given so much of herself to everyone else that she lost who she was. She didn't know who she was or where she was going anymore. While at the ranch, she had realized that you have to take care of yourself to take care of other people.  You need to put yourself first... because when you take care of yourself, you have so much more to give.

This really spoke to me. Last year, when I was teaching, I felt like I was losing myself. I spent so much time working, worrying about work, and being upset about work that I didn't have a lot of time to do the things that I loved. Once I made the decision to not go back to teaching, I felt like a weight had been lifted off of me. I started to realize that I was in charge of the direction my life was going to go, and I wanted it to go differently. I started sewing, knitting, and picked up spinning. I found myself again. I have been struggling with the idea of having a family, as I don't want to lose myself again. I know what it is like to be unhappy with your life and how it feels to not have time to do the things that you love. I can  not have that happen, as I don't want to be that person.

I'm very lucky that I have a very supportive husband who always stands by my side and helps me make good decisions. He has told me that he will make sure that I will always have time for myself and will help me out when I need it. My husband is so supportive, he is out trying to kill a deer to feed me through the summer! :)

Again, Happy Thanksgiving. And count your blessings, because I am counting mine.

No comments: