Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Color

Color plays a pretty big aspect in my life. Between working in a quilt shop, quilting, knitting, spinning, dyeing, etc... I think about color a lot. I think about what colors work together, what colors I like, what colors I want in my room... it's a lot of thinking.

One place that I never expected to think about color was eating...

This summer W and I started to change our diet. We knew that we should eat better, and since we were thinking about starting a family, we wanted to get ourselves healthy to set a good example.  We started eating at home almost exclusively and we joined Full Circle Farms, which is Community Supported Agriculture.  What that means is that every other week we get a box full of fresh, organic fruits and vegetables.

W is much better at meals than I am, so he does most of the cooking. There are a few things that I cook... tacos, enchiladas, and spaghetti are my "things". Everything else, I rely on him for. I may help him do the cooking, but he decides what to have and I am thankful for that. It is amazing how different our plates started to look when we changed our diet.  They were so full of color!

Plates that were typically full of browns and whites, were now speckled with green, orange, and sometimes even purple! And I loved every second of it.  I can tell when my meals aren't as healthy as they should be, because they look monochromatic and dull.  Like when I have pancakes and sausage for breakfast, I can tell that I better have orange juice and walk the dogs a few extra blocks!

I am glad that my plates are more colorful now... they are not only more interesting to look at, but healthier and delicious!

No comments: