Saturday, August 28, 2010

The Case of the Missing Toothbrush....

And other dental hygiene adventures...

The other night Weston yells from the bathroom "What did you do with my toothbrush?"
"Nothing" was my response...
"Well, then someone or something has taken my toothbrush"
"That's weird"
"I say something because when we first got Bud (W's childhood dog) he stole like 12 of my toothbrushes. We had no idea what was going on until one day my sister moved her bed and there was a stash of them"
"Well, if Bud could get up there to get the toothbrushes, it is possible that both of our dogs can"
"Yeah, I know, weird though..."

It is weird. Who knows what happened to his toothbrush. And why would the dogs take his and not mess with mine?? Our bathroom is kind of the center of a lot of controversy in the house. I'm pretty sure that having two sinks has saved our marriage. Having two tubes of toothpaste may have been the best idea we ever came up with as a couple. We have very different ideas on how the tube of toothpaste should be squeezed. W believes it should be squeezed like some sort of ape... right in the middle, all crumpled up. It drives me CRAZY. It gets so hard to get the toothpaste out when you are towards the end of the tube... I choose to squeeze the tube like a normal person with two fingers, typically starting towards the bottom. I don't flatten or fold it as I go, but it remains in a state that it would be easy to do so should I choose to.

About three months ago (or more, hard for me to gage time anymore....) we switched to natural toothpaste, (Josh kindly informed me that one of the ingredients in toothpaste is saccharin, which is known to cause cancer. So once he found out that natural toothpaste is still endorsed by dentists as being effective, he switched, and because I value his opinion so much, I did as well...) which is incredibly expensive.  (Like $5-$6 a tube depending on the store you get it at...) So we went back to having one tube of toothpaste. BIG mistake. Every time I went to brush my teeth I would become immediately annoyed. Then, Fred Meyer had a big sale on the toothpaste we use (2/$6) so we stocked up... but still, we were only using one at a time for some reason... THEN, I was admitted to the hospital and W brought me my toothbrush and a NEW tube of toothpaste. So now we are back to two, one for each of us.

I mentioned the other day that the toothpaste we use now likes to get everywhere (it is a bit more runny than the previous toothpaste, not like a liquid, but not as solid....) and I hate when it gets on my shirt.  Then he says that he is glad we both have our own tube because apparently I am the only one who has this problem, and I "get it everywhere" even in the lid and on the tube... so I was driving him crazy. :)

Even if we have to go back to sharing a sink at some point, I don't think we will ever go back to sharing toothpaste. And the Baby is going to get its own tube too when it has teeth to brush... then Baby can figure out how s/he wants to squeeze the toothpaste all on his/her own.....

Off to brush my teeth....

No comments: