Thursday, June 18, 2009

iPhone 3.0

Apple released the new software for the iPhone yesterday, so I figured I would share my thought on it....

What I like:
Your e-mail can be turned sideways for easier reading. This drove me nuts before, because when I made it large enough to read, would have to scroll left and right... problem solved!
You can now search your e-mail and your iPhone. Not sure what would go missing on my phone, but still cool.
You can turn on a service (for free) that will find your phone if you lost it. It is a GPS thing, so not TOO useful if you are like me and just lose it in your house, but I think you can tell it (your phone) to make noise so you can find it. Could prove to be invaluable to me and I plan on playing with this feature later today.
Voice Memos. You can now record (and e-mail) voice memos to yourself, or others. This is amazing. I hate taking notes on my phone, but have always thought it would be great to be able to record my ideas. Go Apple.
You can now e-mail more than one picture to people. And sometime (after AT&T gets their act together....America is the only place in the world right now that CAN'T DO THIS.... thanks AT&T.) you will be able to send picture messages. Before, only text messages were sent and received by our phones, which was a bit lame because even my mom with her ghetto flip phone can picture message. Sure, she doesn't know how, but it is possible.

What I don't like:
For some reason the text button has changed. It doesn't say "TXT" in it anymore. A small gripe, I know, but it looks very weird to me now.
In the e-mail program it now says my entire e-mail address at the top. This would be useful if it would let me check other e-mail addresses, but I don't think it does, and it just looks awkward as well.

I think that's it. Overall, you can probably tell that the pros outweigh the cons. My complains are aesthtic and not a big deal. They are just little things that annoy me right now and I will probably not even notice in a week. The pros are things I will continue to use for a long time. I love my phone, and I'm pretty sure it was one of the best cell phone purchases we could have made. It may be expensive, but I have had my phone since they came out (which I believe is 2 years now...) and it still works great. It also takes the place of an iPod, GPS, and sometimes in a pinch, a camera. I love being in town and being able to look up phone numbers to places. Or being able to check my e-mail. Or being able to get on Twitter. Gross, I know, but all things that have become a part of my daily routine. If you are in the market for a new phone, I would consider it. They are super easy to use (my friend's 2 year old can use mine...) and amazing.

No comments: