Monday, July 14, 2008

Knitting Along

I finally gaged my shrug yesterday. I had to go up two needle sizes, and I'm pretty sure that it will turn out my size now. This is still a guess because I don't think I knit large enough swatches (I get bored of them very quickly) and I'm not that great at counting stitches, so I'm still crossing my fingers. It is SO pretty though. The two yarns together look so neat, I'm very excited. Because I had to go up in needle size, I need to get new stitch markers because my old ones don't fit on my needles. So I will do that today and hopefully make a lot of progress on it today. I do have to clean up the house (the best I can, according to Weston) because my MIL, her mom, her sister, and her nephew are flying in tonight and they are stopping by our house after being picked up at the airport. Should be interesting.

On the quilting front, I was super excited to unpack my quilting books! It was like Christmas! So now I'm swimming with new ideas. For example, Leah and I are going to do our own block of the month quilt. It is out of the book "Seeing Stars" and is amazing. I'm really excited about it. I love star blocks, and this quilt has so many different ones that I can not wait to make. In other exciting quilting news someone signed up for my quilt class!! She called me the other night to ask about how much fabric she needed to buy. She sounded very excited about the class, and I am very excited that people are beginning to sign up! My career as a quilting teacher is starting! I think it will be quite interesting when I show up and people realize that I am the teacher. Most people who teach quilting are a good 10-20 years older than me, so it might be a bit of a shock to the students. It will be fun though. I'm actually going to make a small baby version of the quilt from some fun fabrics in my stash so I can have sample blocks in different states to show how they should go together.

And before I forget, I felted some pot holders/coasters yesterday. I had knitted a few to see how much they would shrink before I knit a whole set. Then I needle felted some flowers on them and OMG they are BEAUTIFUL! It was SO easy and so much fun to do. I can't wait to do some more needle felting. Ok, I should probably get my day on the go so I can get everything done.

1 comment:

Leah said...

I can't wait to see the shrug! I'm very proud of you for doing a gauge swatch! And, the potholders sound awesome. You wasted no time using that top-loading machine.

And, I'm sure that the reactions will be great to your class, and that is an excellent idea to have blocks in various stages. What a good teacher! :)