Thursday, June 2, 2011

Day One and Thanks!

Thank you to everyone who posted comments here (and on Rav, and my mom who called me because she doesn't post comments...) about my being a good mom. It really means a lot. And I would say that 90% of the time, I feel like a good mom. BUT, as anyone who is a parent knows, it is easy to second guess yourself and think you are crazy... especially when things aren't going so peachy.

We accidentally started sleep training last night. I teach knitting on Wednesday nights, so Weston puts Sawyer to bed on his own.  Normally, I am home before he wakes for the first time, and that is when he comes to bed for milk and cuddles the rest of the night.  However, last night, I was goofing off chatting with the ladies at work, and Sawyer woke up before I made it home. So Weston put him back down. And from there we decided that we were just going to go with it, and I was not allowed to go into the room... Weston was going to deal with him all night. We slept in the living room... Sawyer woke up 4-5 times, crying/fussing (pretty mild stuff really, compared to what I was prepared for) for between 10-30 mins each time.  Weston would go in and remind him that it was still bedtime, and he was safe, and we love him, and then leave him alone. The hardest wake up was at 5:30, because I knew he was probably hungry by now, but I wasn't going to get him up until at least 6:15. (My goal is to have him sleep until 7am, but I figure if I can get him to sleep until Weston wakes up, that is a good start). He was extra fussy then and finally fell asleep right before six only to wake up 10 mins later. Then I went in and got him. And he was in a pretty good mood, actually! He still wanted to cuddle with me. He didn't hate dad. It was a nice morning. He is a bit more tired than usual today, but I think that will pass. Hopefully tonight goes better, but just in case, I am preparing mentally for it to be worse.

In other yarn-y news, this showed up in my mailbox yesterday.... a GORGEOUS skein of handspun from a friend on Ravelry (thanks Sara!!). It was quite the surprise.


This was my yarn smile after opening the package. 


I'm not sure what I am going to knit with it, but I have been petting it and loving just staring at it.  Sara spins amazing yarns and this one is just beautiful! LOVE it. (For those curious, the fiber is Faulkland from KnittinK and the colorway is Superhero laundry day. 

And here is a picture of Sawyer's handspun hat. I knit it out of yarn I spun with fiber from Storied Yarns, which is run by another Rav friend of mine (hi Jess!). Her stuff is amazing. Her ability to interpret books and characters into yarn in fiber is really cool.  I did the Dr. Seuss club with her.... still need to spin all of that .... 


I have pictures of Sawyer in his hat (for a precious few moments before he ripped it off of his head) on his blog. 

The other thing I want to mention is that I will be reviewing a few books soon... I've decided that I should/could do that since I own a ton of knitting (and sewing!) books, many of which are new, and I like to support independent designers (which I can do by reviewing their books!). So be on the lookout for that in the coming weeks.  And if you have a knitting or sewing books that you might like to see reviewed, let me know. I might already own it (!) or I might be looking into getting it anyway. 

I hope everyone has a great Thursday afternoon!

1 comment:

Miss Julep said...

What a difference a day makes! Sounds like things are going well thus far. Keep on doing what you're doing:)

LOVING the yarn and the Sawyer handspun hat!!