Monday, April 18, 2011

Organic

I must be on a hippie blog post wave... next up... organic food.

During the summer, I grow a fair amount of the veggies we eat in my garden, spinach, peas, broccoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, etc. It's awesome. Most of the other veggies we eat come from our Full Circle Farm CSA box. We recently upgraded to the family size box and started splitting it with Weston's parents, who are trying to eat healthier.

My MIL mentioned that she heard (on the Today show, probably) that you shouldn't (or probably, rather, don't have to) buy organic foods with peels, like an orange for example, because you don't eat the outside.

This leads me to my point, which is why I eat organic food, when possible. I think it is better for me, and better for the Earth. I don't want all of those chemicals on my food, in my water, or in my soil. So, for me, I purchase as many things as I can that are grown organically.  Even if I'm not going to eat the peel, because in my mind, it is still better for the ecosystem to be growing organically. We have dramatically lowered our meat intake because we simply can not afford to buy meat that we feel good about eating. We are looking into buying a freezer and half of a cow from a farm in the valley, but we need to save up some $$.

Anyway, if you can afford to buy only those organic foods that are on the "dirty dozen" list, buy those. It is important to asses why you are doing things and what is important to you. For me, buying as many organics as I can get my hands on is my mission.

No comments: