Monday, April 4, 2011

A collaborative FO

A long time ago (September of last year) I became obsessed with knitting a sweater for Baby (who is now Sawyer, but at the time, was Baby). I was on bed rest, and my amazing friend Kelsey picked out the yarn for me and brought it to my house.... I then knit the sweater.... I finished the knitting in January.... then the sweater sat in a bag...

And sat....

And sat....

It just needed to be put together. The sweater was steeked, which I had never done, so I took it into work so another knitting teacher could help me. I carefully sewed my steeks, and even cut one of them. Then back into the bag the sweater went.

Where it sat some more.

Every time I thought about the sweater I would be annoyed at myself. I just needed to finish it. I even took everything out of the bag one time to finish it, but then became so overwhelmed that I wanted to throw it in the garbage. I didn't care about this dumb sweater anymore. I was sure it was too small for Sawyer and I just wanted it out of my life.

So in a fit of desperation, I emailed Kelsey and asked her to finish the sweater for me. Yes, it was kind of a cop out. BUT, I also feel like it was a very adult move to ask for help. If being a new mom has taught me anything, it is that asking for help is not a weakness, it does not make you a lesser person, it is a GREAT thing. So, I did it. I asked. And she finished it for me for my birthday. Best present ever. And, it is even a bit big for Sawyer. He has been wearing it with the sleeves rolled up on dog walks the past couple of days....




She did an amazing job and I am very grateful.  Thank you, Kelsey, for all of your help and being the amazing knitter and friend you are! 

1 comment:

Miss Julep said...

WOW! What a gorgeous sweater!!