Sunday, July 4, 2010

Independence Day!

Happy 4th of July everyone! I love what people do for the 4th... spend time with family, BBQ, enjoy life. I wish people would think to do these things more often. 4th of July isn't a huge celebration for me... I'm much more apt to celebrate Alaska Day or a number of other weird holidays, just because that's how I am. I like to celebrate every day, not just ones that are important to the entire country. But, I am thankful to live in this country and have my freedom... and I thank all those who have served their country and helped make my continued freedom possible.

In other holiday news, I'm again disappointed in my town. Friday morning there was a gay pride float that was burned to the ground, and it is suspected arson. Really?!? Why would anyone do that? I don't understand... some people are so full of hate and misunderstanding. Even if you don't agree with the gay culture, it doesn't mean you have to destroy it. I don't agree with a lot of things other people do, but you don't see me burning anything to the ground... but I am pretty easy going. Our country was built with the idea that all people are created equal. And sure, we have had some bumps in the road, but we should still be working towards that goal. Every person is still a person even if you don't agree with what they do with their lives, and they should be treated EQUALLY.

Enough ranting. This weekend also kicked off Tour de Fleece, which is a spinning challenge to spin every day that the bikers ride in the Tour de France. And I have been kicking it off in a big way! I have been spinning up a storm! (Pictures later, as W has the camera in McCarthy) I have already finished two yarns and almost have half of a third done. Pretty excited about that. I know that spinning this much will be rare, as I do have to work, but I'm just hoping to spin a little bit each day. AND I'm spinning everything from my stash, as I am also participating in a July Stashdown challenge. I'm hoping to make a big dent in my fiber stash.... which will actually just mean more yarn in my stash, but still... I will knit it. :P

Oh man, Talkback is about ready to come on the news... this is always my favorite part of Sunday night. W and I love to watch Talkback together... one week someone called in and said that the reason BP isn't doing more to stop the oil leak is that the are just sucking the oil up out of the water and selling it... so they have no motivation to stop the leak. WHAT?!? Really??? If that were the case, wouldn't there not be an oil problem on the beaches? And even if that were the case, wouldn't it be more economical for them to get the oil out the way they had planned, not have to waste all the time separating it from the water?? Seriously.... some people boggle my mind. I kind of wanted to meet that guy. Letters to the Editor in the newspaper are also amazing. One time someone wrote in that she was glad Dan Sullivan didn't close a bike trail that a man had been attacked on (he was fine, the bear wasn't being aggressive, the man scared him and he was able to ride his bike to the hospital) because "the trails belong to us and we need to take them back from the bears" WHAT?!? (I think I may have blogged about this before... as you can tell, it really hit a nerve) Pretty sure we don't own the park. I think a bear should put that lady in her place.

Alright, guess I am going to get ready for bed. Pretty excited that W will be home tomorrow. I don't really enjoy him being gone for such long periods of time. It is especially hard since I can't even talk to him at all. But, he enjoys camping... I wouldn't want to be told that I can't go to my quilt retreats or Sock Summit, so I suck it up...

No comments: