Sunday, September 19, 2010

Squirrels, Sundays, and Small Towns

I have cast on my squirrel mittens, and I am really liking them so far. The pattern can be found here (Rav link).  I have had these in my queue for a long time and I am really happy that I am finally getting around to them. Mine are grey and pink, which will match my winter coat wonderfully. I started knitting them on DPNs because that is how I normally knit in the round on things smaller than hats. I don't like magic loop... but I was finding with the long floats, it just wasn't turning out how I wanted it to. So my mom was able to pick me up some circular needles and I am now working the mitten on two circulars and it is turning out much better. I do like knitting on two circular needles a lot as well, but I just always feel like when I knit with DPN I look really smart... but I guess since I don't really go anywhere right now looking smart isn't a big deal. :) Instead of the year, I will be putting my initials on the mittens. This is for a few reasons... 1. I don't know if they will both be finished this year 2. I don't really know why I would want the year on them anyway... if someone was super curious what year I knit them in, I could look it up on Ravelry and 3. With my initials, they hopefully won't go missing! So I will keep you updated on the progress on those.

My Baby Christ-ma-kah sweater is going well. One sleeve is done and I am working on the second one. I keep that project in the living room and my mittens in the bedroom so I can work on both throughout the day, depending on where I am relaxing at the moment. I still REALLY need to finish up my wool baby nest. It is sad that it isn't done because all it needs is a button band. But picking up 150-ish stitches just doesn't sound appealing to me.... I should have thought ahead and knit the button band on as I went... sometimes I'm a goober. Oh well. I do plan on finishing it in time for Baby to actually use it, so I guess I better get on it. Maybe I will try to make that my goal for this week....

It's Sunday, which is one of my favorite days of the week. Typical Sundays are spent relaxing with Weston and cleaning the house, which sounds like a chore... but when we do it together is actually fun. Not that I can do too much right now, but I cheer him on and do the little bit that I can. It also means that the only thing on TV is football. Blah. I'm not a sports person. I don't follow sports, I don't really watch sports (I used to be pretty into hockey, but I'm even over that... I will occasionally go to a game, but seeing something live is so much more fun than watching it on TV), I would lose any trivia game based on sports... I do like to have the TV on when it is golf, tennis, or football because it makes it super easy to nap. :)

The last thing on the agenda today is my discussion of small towns. If you know me, or have read my blog for a while, you know that I want to move to a small town. I love my house (and if I could take it with me I would), but this town is too big. I want to live in a town where I can walk everywhere, most of the stores are local, and people actually care about each other and the well being of their fellow man. Weston loves small towns even more than I do. When he goes to one, he is constantly emailing me pictures and telling me how much he loves it... I'm sometimes worried he won't come home. (Except for the fact that he would come get me and the pups... he couldn't leave us behind) I am kind of the same way. The last time I went to Seward, I was very excited to go, but also kind of mad that I went. Upset because going there reminded me of how badly I wanted to live there and how much I didn't want to live in Anchorage forever. If I had made it to Valdez this summer, I probably wouldn't have come home... that is where I really want to live... they have amazing winters...

The reason all of this comes up is that Weston has spent the weekend in Talkeetna for a friend's wedding. He was in the wedding party, so he had rehearsal dinner Friday, the ceremony Sat, and is making his way home today. He is in love with where he is staying and told me about 15 times that we need to spend the weekend there together. We have it built into our long term budget and plan to be able to move somewhere smaller in 5-7 years, so I am looking forward to that. We haven't lived in our house long enough to make it profitable (or even to break even) to sell, and Weston needs to have a little more job experience to transfer around the state. Plus, he is working on his Master's degree and it will be a few years before he finishes that up, which will also make it a lot easier for him to get a job anywhere. Either way, I am looking forward to it. I love small towns...

Alright, off to work on knitting and relaxing. The pups had a play date yesterday, so they are still pretty tired. Weston is on his way home.... I hope everyone has a nice Sunday!

No comments: