Thursday, September 24, 2009

Knitting Class

Yesterday was a long day.  I worked all morning, got off in time to come home and make dinner (homemade pizza... it was seriously delicious), walk the dogs, and then head back to work to teach knitting. This was compounded by the fact that when I was home I started to get a killer headache. In fact, when I was on my way back to work I thought I was going to throw up it was getting so bad... then I got over it about as quickly as it came.... weird.

Even though it was a long day, it was a good day.  Knitting class was so fun!! The ladies in this class are pretty advanced for beginners (most already knew how to knit) so I asked them to bring a project to try and we would get started.  Two of them chose a hat from Charlene Schurch's book, Hats On! (which I had peddled the last time we had class. I love the book. Almost everyone bought it. Guess I'm a good salesperson...) It was the hat with the cabled brim.  They were nervous... and I don't blame them, cables look very hard.  Then I showed them how to cable and they were off!! They kept squealing about how amazing it was that their knitting looked like the picture and they thought they could never do that! It was very fun. I love seeing people getting excited about learning, especially learning something that I love   (like knitting). And the fact that I taught them made me really proud.  Another knitter chose a jumper (like overall pants) for her young child.  So I showed her how to knit in the round and read patterns. And she was off. Until she dropped a stitch on the first round... which meant her cast on stitch disappeared. I studied it for a while, and thought back to the article I had just read on Ravelry about dropping stitches to the cast on edge... and I was able to fix it!! I handed her back her work, explained what I did, and told her she made me feel very smart. I was able to solve another knitting puzzle!! I love that feeling...

I have today off... which is another good feeling. I took the dogs running on Tuesday, so I may do that again. Although, with the cold weather I get really stuffed up when I run. It is quicker than walking them... decisions, decisions...

No comments: