Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Quilts Without Borders

No, this has nothing to do with Doctors without Borders or any other charity that is similar. I just don't like putting borders on my quilts. And here is why. Reason #1: Borders involve math. You are supposed to measure the quilt width in three places and average the three to determine how long to cut the borders. Then repeat this for the length. Really? No thanks. Reason #2: Borders involve pinning. I don't like to pin things while sewing them. I poke myself with them and that gets old really fast. Reason #3: You finish the piecing of all of the blocks. You finish sewing all of the rows and sewing all of the rows together. WHEW! That took a while. But wait! You STILL aren't done! You have to add BORDERS. And then my quilt tops that need borders tend to sit and sit and sit because I hate borders so much. Because of this, I look for patterns that would look good without borders, or even better, patterns that don't call for borders in the first place! Could be why I love Buggy Barn quilts so much, many of them are border-less.

On the knitting front, I am almost done with my dad's socks. I can not wait to get those off the needles. I am so tired of looking at them. Then I still have the elephant and the pillow to finish. But I will probably start my rhino sweater once the socks come off. I can't help it. I'm considering knitting the cabled bag I've had my eye on, but I don't have the yarn for that, so I should wait a few more weeks.

No comments: