Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Skijoring with the pups

Today we went out skijoring with the dogs again. The second time this week (we also went Monday before I went to work) and with the new snow it was actually a bit slower. I really enjoy going out with the dogs. It is a lot of fun for the whole family.

What is not fun is when you run into rude people on the trail.

In Anchorage, we have a very extensive trail system. Most (actually, I would venture to say 95% or more, which to me is almost ALL) of these trails are designated ski trails, which means you can not have your dog on them.  The park we go to has at least 10 trails and ONE of them is a multi-use trail. ONE. And it isn't even a loop, so it is sort of a pain. So that means that if you are a skier you have access to many different trails if you are at the park. Me, I have one option. It doesn't change, it's always the same, and it is where I stay.

Why do I stick so closely to this trail?? Because people are super crazy when you are not on the multi-use trail.  I'm talking YELL-at-you-in-your-face-about-how-you-are-ruining-the-trail-system-and-you-should-not-even-be-allowed-to-be-out-here type of crazy. So now that I know WHERE the multi-use trails are, I stick to them like glue.  I am not one for confrontation, especially when you are starting at a yelling level.

So, today we were out skiing and having a good time and I see a woman heading towards us on the trail.  W and I move off to the right and keep the dogs close. We both say hi to her (and because we were quite a ways apart, she had ample opportunity to return the greeting) but she says nothing. And she looked at us like we were ruining her ski adventure. For some reason this REALLY annoyed me. If she doesn't want to see dogs (and I don't know why you wouldn't want to see my dogs, because they look pretty hot in their skijoring outfits. In fact, some people had actually stopped and took pictures of us earlier before this happened.) GO TO ANOTHER TRAIL. You have SOO many options... why choose this trail?? That trail is actually pretty crappy compared to the others... It just really made me mad because there I was, obeying the rules and someone was still rude.  Granted, I didn't get yelled at, but still... it is polite to say hi or at least SMILE. Not look at me like my dogs are ruining your life... they weren't in your way. Get over it.

Anyway. Someone (actually Jess, from Ohio... I read her blog too... she seems pretty awesome) left a comment on my last post about the movie King Corn.  I have actually seen that movie too, and it is also a very interesting movie about the food industry in America. I think part of the problem is that we don't really take the time to think about where our food comes from or why it contains what it does.  King Corn talks about how most of the corn that is grown in America is actually inedible, it is mostly to make high fructose corn syrup. So if you would like to know more about the food industry in America, check out King Corn as well.

Alright, I have to go finish knitting this stupid sample hat. I'm just annoyed that it isn't done because I REALLY want to start my knot hat on my super cool new interchangeable needles... but I am being good and finishing this hat.... ugh....

No comments: