Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Who would have thought...

After reading my blog I realized that I never mentioned something big. My brother (I have two, one is 22, one is 13, the one I am talking about is the older one) went to France to join the Foreign Legion. Here are the answers to some common questions:
1. Can you join the French Foreign Legion if you aren't French? Yes! In fact, you can ONLY join if you AREN'T French. It is their foreign legion....I don't think we have something comparable.
2. Does that even still exist? Yes! And in fact it is fighting in many places right now, including Afghanistan.
3. Really? Yes. You can look it up on Wikipedia.
4. How long do you stay there? Well, if you get in (which your odds of getting in are 1:10) you sign a 5 year contract.

So anyway, he left on October 8th for his adventure. I was pretty emotional about it. I couldn't believe that I might not see my brother for five years. Sure, he lives in the same town as I do and I probably see him once a month, but still. Five years. I was worried about him, and worried about my mom. Then I got an e-mail today that said he was back home! He didn't pass the second physical (because of scarring in his ears from ear tubes he had in when he was younger) and he packed his things and came back to the USA. I was very excited. I probably won't see him for a few days, as he is resting up before he has to start looking for a job, but I was really happy to hear he made it home safe.

He's getting a quilt for Christmas.

No comments: