Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Target

Target had its "soft open" today and I happened to make my way over there. The grand opening will be on Sunday and I imagine that it will be crazy. It is kind of a big deal that Target is opening in Alaska. For those of you who have known me for a while, you know that Weston used to work for Target...which is what brought us to WA and what drove us to come home early. We love Alaska too much to live anywhere else. We also don't like working 60+ hours a week (not that I was, but I don't like Weston working that much either) and that is why we left.

SO anyway, back on track. Target is open and business is booming. The parking lot was the most crowded part of the whole adventure. They had security that was "directing traffic" (or chatting with their friends, whatever happened to be more entertaining) which was a bit over the top. Once you got into the store it was clean, bright, well stocked, and the employees were incredibly helpful. They had plenty of carts, baskets, etc. They also were willing to get anything that you wanted that was out of stock. It was quite impressive. It is organized a bit differently that the one Weston worked at, but it was easy to find your way around. I wound up buying an ice cream maker for my Kitchen Aid mixer (on clearance for $40! Reg $80) which I am VERY excited about and I can not wait to make ice cream tomorrow. Ice cream...The Office...I can't wait.

Here are some things I like about Target (compared to Wal-Mart)
1. It is clean. And not just new stores. I don't think I have ever been to a dirty Target. The few we went to in WA were always very clean, and the new one is spotless.
2. It is bright. The lighting is very appealing.
3. The quality of the products. Some people may argue that Target is a "red Wal-Mart". I disagree. The products are higher quality and last a lot longer.
4. The employees are all very friendly. Not that employees at other places aren't friendly, but I have never been to a Target where I have not been asked if I need help. Normally I don't, but when I do it is really easy for my to find someone who can answer my question. And if they don't know, they all have radios so they can find out quickly.
5. They don't stock during shopping hours. (With a few exceptions...) It is quite common to go to Wal-Mart and find pallets blocking aisles. Even on the day after Thanksgiving when Target was CRAZY and they were stocking during the day, I still never had a problem with stocking being in my way.

I'm sure there are more things, but I want to go mess with my ice cream maker. Watch for pictures tomorrow.

No comments: